Tuesday, August 4, 2015

The countdown to Chemo begins… T-minus 2 days.

Ho. Ly. Shit.

Today, I did it.  I finally sucked it up and cut off all my hair, well most of it…

I was looking into using a cold cap during chemo to minimize hair-loss, but it appears it would cost over a thousand dollars and would probably give me major serious headaches, because that’s what I need in addition to the nausea of chemo.

So I guess bald it is…

Well a little bob, then a pixie, then a mohawk, then bald…  I was always a put-a-toe-in-first-to-test-the-water kind of kid…

I met with my nutritionist today.  Well, actually, I went in for the cancer nutrition class, but I was the only one that showed up, so I got a private consult instead.  She said, as long as I control the portion size, I could continue to drink alcohol and eat dessert with frequency … I like her…

Everyone with the Cancer Center seems super nice, even when I flipped my shit at the medical assistant that called to schedule me for my chemo.
“So we have you down for Friday August 7th at 8:45--“
“I’m sorry.  It’s supposed to be Thursday the 6th.”
“Well, looks like we’re all full up on Thursday.  We can do Friday at 8:45, one day won’t really make a difference”
“Seriously!?!?  It won’t make a difference, except I’ve been planning my whole freaking life around starting chemo on Thursday Aug 6th!!   AAHHHWWWHHHAARRRRRAAAAAHAHA!!!!”  *head explodes, spontaneous violent sobbing*
“ummm…hang on a second…*hold music*… okay yeah, we can do Thursday at 8:45”

Okay maybe it wasn’t that bad, but it was close.

I found out that my chemo will last up to 6 hours, I can have two guests at a time, and there will be Cheez-its and juice.  It sounds like a party… I may never leave…

I was thinking about doing a “live-tweet” style blogging from chemo, but quickly realized it would mostly be. 
 “Still sitting in the chair... It reclines… That’s nice… They have free Wi-Fi...” 

I feel like I have been prepping for this forever, and now that it’s almost here and I still feel like I have way way way too much stuff left to do.  But, just like an opening night, it’s coming, ready or not, and when it’s all done, we will have cake and champagne.


Thank You friends, I love you all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment